Sunday, September 13, 2009

yes, we're still in korea

I'm not sure how this happened; I take my camera when we go out, I take pictures, I upload them to my computer when I get back...and then I post nothing but a pile of pancakes.  They were yummy, but they were pancakes for goodness sakes.  (just to warn you, there may be some shocking language coming up - my spacebar is deciding to only work like 30% of the time I hit it, and my backspace button is working at negative speed.  I think my very old computer is trying to tell me something, but i'm not listening...la, la, la...  Also, they are doing some sort of work upstairs  and it sounds like the drill is coming through the ceiling which is awesome for putting a 2 year old down for a nap when he already doesn't want to.  sigh...there may be some swearing, but at least you know why now.)


Anywho...last weekend we went to Taejosan Park which I think is the same park that has the big Buddha statue. We went to a different part of it, and stumbled onto a traditional women's drumming concert.  Very cool indeed. 


September 5, 2009 045


September 5, 2009 050


We also saw a bunch of guys playing a sport unique to Korea, as far as a I know.  It is a cross between volleyball and soccer - as soon as I can figure out how to get the video off of my phone, I'll upload that here too.


After the concert we decided to walk into town to try to find somewhere to eat before taking a cab back home.  We immediately went the wrong way down the mountain and ended up walking past ricepaddies and gardens and all manner of restaurants and shops.  (Including a place where you could buy stone statues of motorcycles, buddhas, frogs and the largest phallus we have ever seen.  wanna see it?  click here: http://picasaweb.google.com/rseiple/StatueStore?authkey=Gv1sRgCJbXyYmf47nvzQE#)


September 5, 2009 099


September 5, 2009 107  


It was starting to get dark and we didn't know where we were, so we ended up stopping at a restaurant called Kogi Namu which is basically ""meat tree."  Poetic, huh?  There was a guy making/tending charcoal and the barbeque that some of the people were cooking smelled amazing.  Unfortunately as we looked at the menu, it was also amazing in price.  We held out 30,000 in won (which is about $25) and the waitress fed us for that amount of money.  They gave us free coffee at the end of the meal, and with the help of a 5th grade boy called us a cab.  They were so concerned that we wouldn't have enough money for the cab that they actually offered to give us the meal for free at one point.  All in all, an awesome day.


September 5, 2009 116


September 5, 2009 117


September 5, 2009 115


September 5, 2009 118


September 5, 2009 120



1 comment: