Friday, August 28, 2009

dermatology

Now normally I would not share such embarrassing information with all of you, but I figure this falls under the category of "korean culture" and is therefore ok to share.  If you are at all squemish about too much information though, stop reading now.


So yesterday morning I felt like I had to pee like every 10 seconds and then of course nothing happened.  (this is the too much information part - I warned you!)  Unfortunately, I know what this means since I've had this lovely affliction before.  Welcome to Korea, here's your UTI.  Now in the states, I could have gone into any CVS that had a minute clinic (if you are not familiar with these, they are fabulous!), get a walk-in appointment for $20 or so, and had my prescription for antibiotics filled right there.  Since I was not in the states, I had to get S. to ask the HR person where the nearest doctor was. 


Being the ultimate professional, the HR person made an appointment for me and  proceeded to call me to tell me that he would be taking me.  I knew it was probably for the best to have someone who actually speaks Korean to take me for the first time to the doctor's - I just wish it would have been for a broken bone or cut-off finger...something less...intimate.


He picks O. and I up and tells me that S. has just told him that it was a bacterial infection, but that maybe I should give him more symptoms so he knows exactly what kind of doctor to take me to.  Lovely.  I show him my phone which has a file of what a UTI is, and it's in Korean.  I love the internet.  He now is almost as embarrassed as I am - I think. **Here's the page if you want to see what I showed him...http://www.healthinfotranslations.com/pdfDocs/050778_Ko_Final_UTIFinal.pdf**


So here comes to the culture part...we end up at the dermatologist.  Yes, that's right folks, dermatology AND urology are evidently are a two-for-one specialty.  Who knew.  It all turned out fine in the end.  I got my meds and survived answering such questions as "what are my most concerning symptoms right now?" and "how many times have you had this before?" and "why can't they get rid of this for good for you?" 


Let's hope we never have to speak of this again.  Just to get everyone's mind off of it, here are some pictures of O. at the fountains in front of the bus station in Cheonan. 


August 21, 2009 047


August 21, 2009 056


August 21, 2009 070


August 21, 2009 079



1 comment: