Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Thai shrimp salad

Ahem. Well, it's been a while.  


As I've looked through my bank statements, I can't help but wonder at why I keep paying for a blog service that I obviously don't use.  Ah, but those old posts...what to do with them. Print them out?  Bind them in a blurb book?  Copy and paste into some obscure file that I won't remember to open?


Then there is the bigger question of what exactly I wanted to have a blog for.  


I have a thin skin.  Very thin.  I don't necessarily want people to really know what's going on all the time because I don't want to be thought badly of.  I don't want to be misunderstood.  I don't take criticism well.  I read other people's blogs, the famous and the not so famous, and I cringe when I read about an unfavorable comment.  Even when there it is only one out of a sea of postive ones.  It has kept me from writing here.  Too much going on.  Too much to misinterpret.  Too much to share. 


Then again, why blog then.  To keep a record somehow of what is going on?  A journal of sorts that has only the happy thoughts and the focused photos?  Even the photos start to bring up questions of privacy and how much of the kids' faces/identities/etc. to share.  I'm not sure of anything anymore.  


So, we'll start small. We'll start with food.  I like food.  I like making it, I like eating it, and evidently from the 20 pictures I took of the thai salad I made, I could like photographing it too.  I had to stop myself when I found myself thinking I would have to nudge the cucumber slice just a hair to make it look more natural.  Or as natural as 11 pm at night with only the light of the computer to illuminate things can be.  I am in awe of food bloggers with their beautiful, colorful, artful pictures of food.  


IMG_20120509_233856


Thai Shrimp Salad - based off of the yummy beef version we get at our favorite Thai restaurant - but without any spicy peppers so that the kids could eat it.  


Thinly peeled and sliced cucmbers (I used 3),thinly sliced onion (I used 1), thinly sliced celery (I used 3 small stalks), 2 chopped tomatoes, cooked and peeled shrimp, bunch of chopped cilantro and garlic, fish sauce, lime juice and salt to taste.


And speaking of kids...


IMG_20120416_161533



IMG_20120419_201556


Hopefully now that I've gotten one post out of the way I can find my way to doing this more regularly.  See you soon.  I hope.  


 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment