Friday, July 1, 2011

immigration office

I have been in the process of trying to get a permanent resident visa - as a Korean adoptee, I'm supposed to be able to get this type of visa which would make it easier to do a number of things here, like open bank accounts, get discounts for O's kindergarten, etc.  So far, it has required an inordinate amount of paperwork and numerous trips to various administrative offices. 


The last visit to the immigration office was supposed to consist of an interview, where I would show off my knowledge of the Korean language, Korean history and culture.  Uh...Mr. Lee....I still don't speak Korean.  I know food though. 


So, he wants to me to cook something Korean for the interview.  He is serious.  


The morning of the interview appointment I make up kimchi jeon - kimchi pancakes that are a popular snack.  I cut them up into bite sized pieces, pack them in a glass container, and put some chopsticks in the bag with them.  


We go to the immigration office and take a ticket to wait to see the next available person.  Mr. Lee gives the man all of my paperwork.  As the officer is looking over the paperwork, Mr. Lee tells me I should give him the jeon.  I whisper out of the side of my mouth, "Really?" He insists, both with words and hand gestures.  Reluctantly, I take out the container and place it on the counter.  


Imagine going to the bank to apply for a loan.  Imagine handing one of the tellers an omelet as she is looking over your application papers.  That is what it felt like.  This was not handing over cookies or brownies...this was handing out cut up kimchi pancakes that are often packed into kid's lunches by doting mothers.  


The embarrasement.  Even more so when the guy behind the counter shooed them away with a flick of his wrist as he told me I could sit down and wait "Over there."  


I still don't know if my application went through.  Maybe I should have insisted he try one of the pancakes.  


But, I do know that my love affair with doing my nails has come back with a vengeance.  Check out the latest water marbling - this time with orange! Over a white base! Someone needs to stop me.  


IMG_20110702_150130



No comments:

Post a Comment